State Medical Assistance Team
Buncombe County SMAT III
A State Medical Assistance Team (SMAT III) is an EMS or Fire Department based team that is designed to be the first line of response in support of local agencies in the event of a decontamination event or mass medical care event. There are currently twenty nine SMAT III teams across the State.
- Provide a first line of defense locally, assist at hospitals, or respond regionally or statewide at the request of the North Carolina Department of Emergency Management.
- Provide local decontamination/medical treatment teams that can rapidly assist/start decontamination operations on victims of chemical exposures or other incidents that would require decontamination.
- Buncombe County EMS is the lead agency for the SMAT; however other county fire and EMS agencies support the mission as well. Members must be affiliated with a county emergency service agency.
- You can apply to join the team at www.SERVNC.org .
- For more information contact Team Leader Ken Shields via email at email@example.com