Buncombe County EMS is the lead agency for our county SMAT; however other county fire and EMS agencies support the mission as well. Members must be affiliated with a county emergency service agency.
- You can apply to join the team at www.SERVNC.org.
- Members are required to attend a combination of regular training and disaster exercises each year to maintain proficiency and are eligible to attend state and federal training as well.
- For more information contact Team Leader Ken Shields via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
All team members must achieve SMAT Tech 3 (entry level) within the first year of membership and then maintain required annual training as noted below. Those members that wish to progress to higher levels are encouraged to do so and will be looked to first for deployment and other opportunities.
- Attend all required team training events as directed by the team leader, usually held in the spring and fall with multiple sessions available.
- Complete any required online training in a timely manner.
- Attend at least 1 exercise or activation on a yearly basis as available.
SMAT Tech Level requirements
|SMAT Level 3||Hours|
|Initial Buncombe SMAT Training||8|
|NC EMT or above|
|AWR-111 - Basic Concepts for WMD Incidents (online)||4|
|AWR-160 - Terrorism Awareness for First Responders (online)||4|
|IS-100 - Introduction to ICS (online)||3|
|IS-200 - ICS for Single Resources (online)||3|
|IS-700 - National Incident Management System, An Introduction (online)||3|
|IS-704 - NIMS Communications and Information Management (online)||2|
|IS-800 - National Response Framework, An Introduction (online)||3|
|SMAT Level 2||Hours|
|IS-101 - Deployment Basics (online)||3|
|AWR-201 - Intro to SNS and Mass Prophylaxis (online)||4|
|MGT-100 - WMD Incident Management/Unified Command Concept (online)||8|
|Haz Mat Operations or Equivalent||24|
|SMAT Level 1||Hours|
|ICS-300 - Expanding Incidents||12|
|ICS-400 - Complex Incidents||12|
|Choose One Of The Following Specialties|
|Incident Command : CPD MGT-360 or Equivalent||24|
|Training : CDP PER-266 Instructor Training Certification or Equivalent||40|
|Supportive : CDP PER-263 Respiratory Protection Program||16|
|Or Other Specialty Area As approved By Teamleader|